I made this tea and had it warm during my 40 days postpartum- I think it helped me build supply and lose some weight too. Of course, a good, nutrient- rich diet along with it will do wonders too. Please remember this is not the time to diet and lose weight- focus on building a healthy bond with your baby.
Feel free to add and deduct ingredients as per your taste:
- 1-2 tsp Fennel seed (saunf)
- 1-2 tsp Ginger (adrak)
- 1-2 tsp Fenugreek seeds ( methi daana)
- 1-2 tsp Coriander seeds ( Sookha Dhaniya)
- 1-2 tsp Carrom seeds (Ajwain)
- 2-3 Cinnamon Stick (Dal Cheeni)
- 1-2 tsp Cumin seeds ( zeera)
- 2 tsp Alfalfa powder*
- 2 tsp Nettle leaf powder*
- 2 tsp Red Rasberry leaf powder*
- 2 tsp Oat straw green tops powder*
- 2 tsp German Chamomile powder*
- 1 tsp Dandelion Leaf powder*
Steep in boiling water overnight or an hour at least, strain and drink throughout the day. You may add honey and lemon for taste. This tea contains powerful galactagogues to increase/maintain your supply.
- Fenugreek seeds: These may lower blood sugar so diabetic mothers should refrain from adding it. But it is fantastic for boosting milk supply. I had fenugreek porridge and shakes and it helped me immensely.
- Red Raspberry Leaf: This is one of the best things to have for pregnant and nursing mothers. It helps in overall uterine health which is wonderful during and after pregnancy. It contains all the vitamins, mineral, and nutrients that the uterus needs to work efficiently- calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, vitamin C, A, and B complex. This mama’s best friend increases fertility, tones the uterus, aids in easy birthing, restores the womb after birthing, helps prevent miscarriage, reduces morning sickness, soothes muscle/leg cramps and backache, and counters fatigue. This herb is not only great for mama and baby, but for the whole family.
- Nettle Leaf: It is rich in chlorophyll, a significant source of vitamins A, D, C, B, and K, bio-available minerals, including huge amounts of calcium, magnesium silicon, and potassium chloride; protein, and dietary fiber. It prevents folic acid anemia and iron deficiency anemia and is also a digestive aid, a strengthener to the lungs, an ally of the kidneys, and a restorative to the hair and skin. It has the ability to increase the efficiency of liver and kidney function, which very important during pregnancy. It also helps prevent varicose veins and hemorrhoids, eases leg cramps and backache and reduces the incidence of hemorrhage after birth. You will find that nettle supplies amazing amounts of energy and increases the richness of mama’s milk!If you find this too hectic, head over to our store for some milk boosting yummy teas.
- Dandelion Leaf: This amazing weed enriches breast milk in nursing mothers.Dandelion is rich in many nutrients, vitamins and minerals such as calcium, iron, and vitamin A. This plant contains all the nutritive salts for the blood. It restores and balances the blood so anaemia that is caused by deficiencies of these blood salts disappears. It also contains bitter compounds that enhance the efficiency of the body’s eliminative and detoxifying functions. These compounds help restore normal liver function, increase the production of digestive fluids and enzymes, particularly bile, increase the flow of urine and have a laxative effect… all very important functions that should be in good working order after pregnancy!
- Blessed Thistle: Most commonly used to enrich and increase breast milk supply… Blessed Thistle also helps lift postpartum depression and relieve suicidal feelings too! The term ‘blessed’ was applied centuries ago from its reputation as a cure-all, a remedy even for the Black Plague of the Middle Ages. This plant’s curative properties were considered a gift from God! Blessed Thistle is known to help balance female hormone problems such as painful menstruation, dysmenorrhea, and amenorrhea. It also strengthens the heart and lungs, brings oxygen to the brain & strengthens memory and brings circulation to every part of the body. In the last century, blessed thistle has received a reputation for its action on the internal organs such as the liver and kidneys. Plus, it is an excellent source of potassium and sodium
- Cumin and Fennel seeds: Known to increase milk production and tone the digestive system. Fennel & Cumin not only help in milk production but is also fantastic for colic & flatulence in small babies. Their powers are carried through the breast milk, curtailing colic and indigestion. Both help normalise the appetite, increase the flow of urine and help cleanse the liver. One of the fennel’s greatest attributes is its ability to make the unpleasant taste of many herbs more tolerable.**The items in asterisk are available at our store. I do not know their names in Urdu/Hindi or where to find them.